Whether you’re looking for things to do with your kids during the break, or just looking for a little inspiration to be active outdoors, this list is for you!
With our top suggestions for hiking, snowshoeing, skating, skiing and many other activities to enjoy this winter in your #WinterCapital, you’re sure to find something that’s right for you! Which of these activities will you try first?
- Discover the Rideau Hall skating rink (registration required).
- Discover the groomed multi-use winter trail network.
- Explore Shirleys Bay in the Greenbelt, on cross-country skis.
- Visit one of the capital's 7 national museums.
- Go for a 5.5-km winter hike at Green’s Creek.
- Take part in one of the virtual workshops presented by the Friends of Gatineau Park (registration required).
- Play detective, and identify animal tracks in the snow. (Read this blog before you begin!)
- Try snow biking in Gatineau Park.
- Use the City of Ottawa’s interactive map to find an outdoor municipal skating rink near you.
- Discover the ruins at the Mackenzie King Estate (bonus: leashed dogs are welcome).
- Learn the basics of forest wilderness survival to help you plan safe and fun outings this winter.
- Become a budding speleologist, with a visit to the cave at Arbraska Laflèche.
- Celebrate the arrival of Spring by going to the sugarbush, such as the one at the Log Farm.
- Thank a member of the Gatineau Park trail maintenance team for their excellent work.
- Take part in the next NCC Urbanism Lab event.
- Try “A Prime Minister’s Backyard” cross-country ski route in Gatineau Park.
- Take a trip down the Rideau Canal Skateway, and stop at attractions along each kilometre of the world’s largest skating rink.
- Go in search of public art works in the Capital (here’s one to start with: The Gather-Ring).
- Tackle the Wolf Trail loop on snowshoes — a great physical challenge!
- Make a snow angel or build a snow person in one of the Capital’s urban parks.
- Explore the winter trails on foot, skis or snowshoes at the Centre de plein air du Lac-Leamy (website in French only).
- Enjoy the beauty of frozen waterfalls at Rideau Falls Park or Hog’s Back Park.
- Toboggan down a snowy slope in the Greenbelt.
- Visit one of the 10 best skating rinks in the Outaouais region.
- Contribute to scientific research by looking for plant and animal species in your neighbourhood — in collaboration with the Canadian Wildlife Federation’s Observation Nation program.
- Explore the groomed multi-use winter trail network in Ottawa and Gatineau. There are over 100 km of trails for shared winter recreational activities such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, fat biking and walking.
- Hit the slopes, and enjoy downhill skiing or snowboarding at Camp Fortune.
- Take a self-guided tour, and learn more about the Greenbelt’s Stony Swamp, Pine Grove and Mer Bleue Bog.
- Discover the remarkable trees of the National Capital Region, using our interactive map to plan your route — and discover them at your own pace.
- Explore upcoming events at the National Arts Centre.
- Go for a walk in a winter wonderland.
- Give birding a try, and see if you can identify at least one bird species in the region (please be respectful and unobtrusive, and observe birds from a distance).
- Plan a snowshoeing or skiing trip to one of Gatineau Park's day shelters to warm up and have a snack.
- Try a new activity in Gatineau Park, starting at the Relais plein air.