Being a national leader in sustainability is a top priority of the NCC. We are working with our regional partners to make the National Capital Region environmentally sustainable and climate resilient.
The Sustainable Development Strategy, renewed every three years, is one of the main mechanisms to measure and monitor progress in achieving this priority. It is our roadmap and our commitment to present and future generations.
This strategy is fully aligned with the targets of the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy.
On November 2, 2023, the NCC launched a new cycle for its Sustainable Development Strategy. The 2023–2027 Sustainable Development Strategy includes 28 actions that contribute to the following overarching themes:
- reconciliation with Indigenous peoples
- sustainable and active transportation
- access to urban green spaces
- responsible consumption
- climate action
- regional food production
- affordable housing
- nature and wildlife conservation
We are currently concluding the 2018-2023 cycle of the Sustainable Development Strategy. The report presenting the results for this cycle will be available in June 2024. The NCC has completed 35 of the 36 measures and 72 of the 76 indicators set out in the 2018-2023 Strategy. Here are some of the highlights:
- 61% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- 25,000 trees planted
- over 400 volunteers involved in Citizen Science initiatives
- over 25 projects completed as part of the Natural Resources Action Plan
- 100% of purchases for fleet are zero-emission vehicles
- 95% of waste diverted from Rideau Canal Skateway
- completion of key documents, including Bird-Safe Design Guidelines, climate Risk Assessment and Forest Strategy
Aligning with federal priorities
The government of Canada sets out its sustainable development priorities in The Federal Sustainable Development Strategy. The Federal Strategy indicates the actions needed to support the 17 sustainable development objectives of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The NCC’s Strategy takes the principles and objectives of the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy and the federal Greening Government Strategy and articulates them around its activities and areas of expertise.
Have your say
Sustainability is a shared responsibility. Share your ideas and comments with us!
- 2023-2027 Sustainable Development Strategy (13.913 MB)
- 2018-2023 Sustainable Development Strategy (4.09 MB)
- 2009-2017 Sustainable Development Strategy (1.304 MB)
- 2022-2023 - Annual Report - Sustainable Development Strategy (10.105 MB)
- 2021-2022 - Annual Report - Sustainable Development Strategy (5.274 MB)