We have committed to four actions and six indicators under the “Sustainably managed lands and forests” goal.
Each action has a set of indicators — with clear, concrete and measurable targets — to evaluate success. The status of each are as reported in the 2019-2020 annual report.
6.1 Adopt and implement a forest strategy that considers natural and cultural heritage values, and focuses on urban tree protection.
Adopt a forest strategy | ⬤ Completed
- We have launched our first ever Forest Strategy in April 2021. The strategy will guide how we address the many challenges facing our trees and forest. It has a strong emphasis on trees and forests in urban areas, but also looks at trees and forests in natural areas like the Canada’s Capital Greenbelt and Gatineau Park.
Plant at least 100,000 trees | ⬤ Will not meet target
- We planted 12,500 trees across the National Capital Region in 2019. Since the start of our program for removing sick and dead ash trees in 2014–2015, we have planted about 18,000 trees in total.
- We are aiming to plant approximately 36,000 trees in the next five years. We will not reach the 100,000-tree target due to a lack of resources and available tree-planting sites. We have reached out to partners who could potentially fund our tree-planting efforts.
6.2 Help control the spread of invasive plant species.
Adopt a coordinated regional approach to invasive species control | ⬤ Begun, on track
- Along with students and teachers from Regina Alternative School, we controlled invasive species in a 0.42-hectare area at Mud Lake. We also replanted a variety of native species in a 0.9-hectare area next to Remic Rapids Park.
- With the help of the Friends of Gatineau Park, we removed 0.04 hectare of invasive periwinkle in Gatineau Park.
6.3 Promote the connectivity of ecosystems and natural habitats in the National Capital Region.
Identify potential corridors on, near and next to NCC-managed lands | ⬤ Begun, on track
- We have identified corridors in Gatineau Park and on Quebec urban lands. We will develop a protection and action plan in the coming years.
6.4 Renew the Corporate Natural Resources Action Plan.
Renew the Corporate Natural Resources Action Plan | ⬤Begun, on track
- We have renewed this plan and secured continuous funding for it. This program is important for improving biodiversity health on the lands we manage.
Complete at least 15 projects | ⬤ Begun, on track
- We have completed 15 projects under this program since 2018, six of them in 2019–2020. Some examples of projects completed:
- monitoring and analyzing invasive species
- studying species at risk
- doing research on pollinators
- restoring pollinator habitat
- monitoring beaver populations
- involving people in biodiversity conservation on NCC-managed lands
⬤ Begun, on track: Work toward this action has begun, and the project is on track to be completed on time and for the target to be met.
⬤ Begun, off track: Work toward this action has begun, and issues have arisen that have required the timeline for the completion of the project to be extended or that will make it difficult to meet the target.
⬤ Will not meet target OR Target not met: The target for this action will not be met or has not been met.
⬤ Not yet begun: Work toward this action has not yet begun.