The work of trail maintenance volunteers will add about 100 km of trails to Gatineau Park’s official network, and renaturalize about 200 km of unofficial trails.
Description of work
Job title: Trail maintenance volunteer
Work location: Four different areas in Gatineau Park
- Southern sector
- Meech Creek Valley
Description of tasks
Under the supervision of the volunteer team leader, the volunteer will take part in trail crews planned and organized by the NCC to work on various official trails in Gatineau Park. The tasks include moving branches and rocks, work to ensure that tree roots are protected, and building culverts, walkways and drainage ditches.
The work will be performed outdoors, and will require appropriate footwear and clothing. The NCC will provide the necessary equipment, including tools such as work gloves, trimmers, shovels, wheelbarrows and so on.
Commitment and work schedule
Trail crews are organized from mid-May to late October. The crew’s schedule is established by the team leader, in cooperation with the NCC.
The shifts are normally three hours. You must be available for at least six hours of work during the season (i.e. two shifts).
- Be 18 years of age or older, or take part with a parent or accompanying adult
- Have a means of transportation
- Be capable of doing manual work
- Be capable of working in variable weather conditions
- Familiarity with Gatineau Park’s mandate
- Familiarity with trail building*
* The NCC will provide development activities to volunteers.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.