Westboro Beach is a key hub on the Ottawa side of the historic Ottawa River. As part of the NCC’s Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park Plan, this area is being revitalized to create a more vibrant, active space that will improve the quality of life of residents and the experience of visitors.
The latest on the project
Pavilion and landscape design
From December 18, 2020, to January 18, 2021, 750 participants took part in the online public consultation on the proposed Westboro Beach pavilion and landscape design. We would like to thank all those who provided their input. The feedback collected during the online consultation will be considered by the project team as they finalize the design for Westboro Beach.
We are working on a report summarizing the input provided by participants, and indicating how this feedback will be used.
The Board of Directors approved the preliminary design for the Westboro Beach pavilion and landscape on January 21, 2021. The project team is planning to present the final design to the Board for approval in the fall. Construction is planned to start in spring 2022.
Impact of work
The work may require the closure of the parking lot in 2021.
About the project
Westboro Beach is one of the green spaces covered by the Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park Plan. The plan calls for the creation of a continuous, 9-km riverfront park connecting LeBreton Flats to Mud Lake. It also provides guidance on facilities, amenities and design improvements needed at Westboro Beach.
The NCC and the City of Ottawa have an agreement for the light rail transit Stage 2 project. As part of this agreement, the City will finance parkland improvements on a 2.5-km stretch of the riverfront park, including the proposed improvements at Westboro Beach.
Watch the video below to learn about the proposed pavilion design and landscape plan, as presented to the public during the December 2020–January 2021 online public consultation. This design will be updated and refined over the coming months.
You can also read the video script and view images of the proposed pavilion and landscape design on the following pages:
The Westboro Beach area redevelopment project is one of the first steps in making the Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park Plan a reality.
- Community meeting about Westboro Beach parking lot (south side)
- Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park plan approved by NCC Board of Directors (June)
- Internal design competition (March–October)
- Two in-person workshops and one online public consultation (April–June)
- Demolition of two derelict buildings at 234 Atlantis Avenue (June)
- Public consultations on the proposed design (winter)
- Construction of the Westboro Beach parking lot (south side)
- Detailed design and tendering for the Westboro Beach pavilion and landscape plan
- Proposed schematic design submitted to NCC Board of Directors (January)
- Construction of services, as well as parkway intersection and realignment by City of Ottawa’s LRT contractors
- Construction of the new and revitalized Westboro Beach pavilion and landscape
For an overview of what we have heard throughout this process, see the public consultation reports.
The report for the December 2020 – January 2021 public consultation on the proposed Westboro Beach pavilion and landscape design will be published here when it is completed.