Farms in the Greenbelt are a symbol of Canada’s rural traditions, and they provide an example of how to practise viable and diverse agriculture in a near-urban setting. Canada’s Capital Greenbelt is home to a tantalizing bounty of local produce and unique experiences, where seasonal visits are a tradition.
Pick your own
Plan a pick-your-own adventure at a Greenbelt farm with the kids, and bring home sweet berries, cherries, crisp apples, ghoulie pumpkins and other fresh produce. There are fields of vegetables, strawberry patches, apple orchards and so much more to plan your outing.
Buy local, eat local
Visit a Greenbelt farmer and choose from a wide selection of fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, honey, milk, eggs, meat and more. There are also many seasonal and year-round farm stands and farmers’ markets where you can buy your fresh produce. Or you can sign up for a community supported agriculture (CSA) basket delivered weekly to your door.
- Backyard Edibles (CSA baskets and farm store)
- BeetBox Cooperative Farm (CSA baskets and farm store)
- Cleroux Farm Produce (farm stand)
- Foster Family Farm (CSA baskets and farm stands)
- Gees Bees Honey Company (farm store)
- Just Food (farmer’s market on farm)
- Kiwan Farms (farmer’s market on farm)
- Log Farm (farmer’s market on farm)
- Mikes Garden Harvest (CSA baskets)
- Orleans Fruit Farm (farm stand)
- Ottawa Farm Fresh (CSA baskets and farm store)
- Russander Farm (farm store on site)
- Shouldice Farms (farm stands)
- Veggie Trail Farm (farm stand)
Seasonal activities and tours
Farming can be fun for the whole family too! The Greenbelt farmers have organized many activities and events for your enjoyment year-round; there are even country hoedowns under the stars!
Take a guided tour, visit a petting farm, sign up for family activities and workshops, enjoy yoga or try to find your way out of some amazing mazes.
When the maple sap starts flowing, a trip to the sugarbush is a must. After all, who doesn’t enjoy maple taffy on snow and old-fashioned wagon rides?
- BeetBox Cooperative Farm (self-guided walking tours, activities and events)
- Gees Bees Honey Company (private bee tours)
- Log Farm (petting farm, maple syrup and wagon rides)
- Maple Hill Urban Farm (group visits, alpaca walks)
- Ottawa Farm Fresh (yoga, group visits and live music)
- Russander Farm (old-fashioned hoedowns, group visits, petting farm and kids’ activities)