The heart of Canada’s Capital Region — the downtown cores of Ottawa and Gatineau — is called the “core area.” This plan applies to the federal lands in this area.
Vision for the core area
- A unified space for working, living and celebrating Canada
- A place for Canadians to gather and celebrate their sense of country
- Renewing and enhancing Confederation Boulevard
- Enhancing the public experience through commemorations and public art
- Completing major projects — LeBreton Flats, the islands at Chaudières Falls and Brewery Creek
- Improving the integration of interprovincial transit
- Promoting sustainable modes of transportation
- Developing an illumination strategy
Capital Core Area Sector Plan review
The Capital Core Area Sector Plan was adopted by the NCC Board of Directors in 2005. The need to review the plan is to be assessed at least every five years. Any amendments to the plan’s policies are subject to the NCC’s federal land use, design and transaction approval process.