The NCC is collaborating with federal partners on these issues, and will be undertaking work in the winter 2023 and into fall 2024.
Impact of work
A section of the Ottawa River Pathway behind Parliament Hill will be closed during the work.
About the project
The aim of this project:
- repair damage and increase resilience to future floods
- restore slope stability
- protect the forested slope
- remediate contaminated soils
- restore safe public use
Process and timeline
December 2020 — Complete
Installation of concrete barriers to prevent potential rockfalls from a low stone wall along the trail.
Winter 2023–Fall 2024
Parliament Hill escarpment rehabilitation work.
- Remove vegetation at the base of the escarpment.
- Plant erosion-resistant vegetative cover.
- Build retaining walls.
- Flatten the slope.
- Repair and reinforce the natural exposed bedrock face.
- Replant vegetation to restore the natural appearance of the escarpment.
This project is part of the NCC’s major infrastructure projects made possible with the Government of Canada’s $52.4-million investment from the 2020 federal budget.