Temporary closure of the pathway
A section of the Rideau River Eastern Pathway near Carleton University, between Bronson Avenue and Heron Road, will continue to be closed until the end of June for Stage 2 light rail transit (LRT) construction on the existing train bridge and the new pedestrian and cycling bridge.
With its picnic tables, barbecue pits, softball diamond and bandstand, it’s an ideal site for community gatherings, company picnics and family reunions. The Capital’s multi-use pathway also passes through the park, making it an excellent starting point for exploring the Capital by bike.
Discover the remarkable trees in this area.
- Washrooms : May to mid-October (weather permitting). Open 9 am to dusk (no later than 10 pm), daily.
- Parking : In operation year-round. 7 am to dusk (no later than 10 pm). Automated system with pay at exit. Parking lot closed 10 pm to 7 am, daily.
- Vehicles : $1 per half hour (max. 8$ per day)
- Buses : $24 daily flat rate
- At toll booth : credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discovery and American Express), debit and cash ($20, $10, $5, $2, $1).
- At exit gate : credit card only
- Picnic Areas : Vincent Massey Park is an excellent picnic spot, equipped with picnic tables and barbecue pits.
- Universal Accessibility : The park is universally accessible.
Vincent Massey Park covers an area of 28.9 hectares, and is located on Riverside Drive and Heron Road in Ottawa. The park was once joined to Hog’s Back Park, until the parks were divided by Heron Road in 1969. The park was named after Governor General Vincent Massey.
The site opens in early May, and closes December 1 (weather permitting).
You can guarantee access to a picnic area by reserving ahead of time. Reservations can be made starting on April 1 every year, and are accepted from May to September. See site map for eligible areas and available facilities. Reservations are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
The fee guarantees exclusive use of a section of the park: $125.00 (non-profit organizations) or $460.00 (for-profit organizations)
Fees are subject to change.
Alcoholic beverages are not permitted, and dogs are not allowed.
If you would like to hold a special event that includes infrastructure, for example, a tent or play structure, you will need an event permit. Please note that only sites F, G, H, E, M, N, O, P and Bandstand are eligible for special events.
Monthly Parking Pass
Monthly passes are available for weekday access (Monday to Friday) to the paid parking lot at Vincent Massey Park.
- Cost : $56 (valid Monday to Friday)
Should you have any technical difficulties purchasing your monthly pass, please call Precise Parklink at 1-888-783-7275 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm).