Stornoway has been home to a number of historical figures, including the exiled Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, and many future prime ministers. It is located at 541 Acacia Avenue in Ottawa’s Rockcliffe Park.
A "country" house
In the early 1900s, Rockcliffe Park Village was a rural area that attracted the elite in nearby Ottawa. Many large “country” houses were built in Rockcliffe after the area was connected to Ottawa by streetcar in 1891. Stornoway, named after a town on the Hebridean Isle of Lewis, was one of these houses.
Stornoway was built in 1913 by Ascanio Joseph Major, who controlled one of the largest wholesaling grocery enterprises in eastern Canada. He hired Allan Keefer, a noted architect of the day, to prepare the design. In 1923, the Perley-Robertsons, another distinguished local family, bought the house and enlarged it over the next few years.
A royal exile
Following the invasion of the Netherlands by German armies on May 10, 1940, the Dutch royal family went into exile. Princess Juliana, the heir to Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, was sent with her husband and children to the safety of Canada.
The royal exiles lived first at Rideau Hall and then in a small, overcrowded house in Rockcliffe. In 1941, Mrs. Perley-Robertson came to the rescue, and offered Princess Juliana the loan of Stornoway. The princess and her family and friends moved in during the summer of 1941. It was to Stornoway that Princess Juliana brought home her third child in 1943.
Official residence of Canada's leader of the Opposition
Since 1950, Stornoway has housed a series of leaders of the Opposition (the leader of the party that holds the second-largest number of seats in Parliament). The house belongs to the Government of Canada today but, for many years, was owned and managed by a private trust.
In 1946, Senator Gratan O’Leary launched a campaign to find a home for the leader of the Opposition. He raised funds among friends and associates in Ottawa, set up a trust fund, and began to shop for a suitable property. The Perley-Robertsons offered Stornoway to the trust at a discount price of $55,000.
Conservative leader George Drew (former premier of Ontario) and his wife were the first residents (1950–1956), followed in 1958 by Lester and Marion Pearson. Since then, Stornoway has been home to a succession of political families — the Diefenbakers, the Stanfields, the Clarks and many others — continuing to this day.
Stornoway has been owned by the Government of Canada since 1970 and managed by the NCC since 1986.
Stornoway is designated as a Recognized federal heritage building by the Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office (FHBRO). The property comprises more than 0.42 hectare (one acre) of grounds, one main building with 19 main rooms, hallways and washrooms covering approximately 883 square metres (9,500 square feet), and one outbuilding. Like most official residences, it is closed to the public.
The property functions primarily as a private residence and occasionally hosts official events.
Our work at Stornoway is part of a broader long-term program to preserve, maintain and restore all the official residences under NCC management.
The NCC’s Official Residences of Canada: Asset Portfolio Condition Report, released in 2018, provides a detailed, residence-by-residence analysis of the investment required to restore Canada’s official residences to good condition.
The asset portfolio condition report deemed Stornoway to be in good condition, requiring regular and ongoing maintenance. The roof on the main building was replaced in 2019, as an essential component of proper maintenance and preservation of the residence.
The 2018 asset portfolio condition report also details a comprehensive list of the rehabilitation initiatives undertaken over the past 10 years, as well as the proposed list of investments between 2018 and 2027.