The Rideau Canal Skateway is currently closed.
Our team is preparing for the upcoming season of the Rideau Canal Skateway. The Skateway will open when a 30-cm thickness of good quality ice has formed. To get there, our ice experts need about 10 to 14 consecutive days of temperatures between -10°C and -20°C.
Ice Conditions By Section
Ice Condition Definitions
- Limited number of pressure cracks
- Overall ice is very hard and durable
- Clean ice with a smooth surface
- Very good gliding surface
- Limited number of rough areas
- A few pressure cracks
- Hard ice surface
- Clean ice with a number of smooth surface areas
- Good gliding surface
- Some patchy or rough areas
- Many pressure cracks
- Worn/soft ice surface, due to mild temperatures
- Snow accumulation on the ice or/and a “pebbled” surface
- Poor gliding surface
- Numerous pressure cracks, due to mild temperatures
- Soft ice surface with several rough or “soft/wet spots”
- Risk of skate blades digging in and “scarring” the surface
When the skateway is open, ice conditions are updated twice daily, at approximately 8 am and 4 pm. For all other questions, contact us.