The park was named after George Patterson, Chief of the Rideau Canal Commissariat, who was probably also the first resident of the Glebe. A dam that was built during the construction of the canal caused the creek to flood, making it wider.
From 1919 to 1939, the western end of Patterson Creek Park was graded and turned into tennis courts and lawn bowling grounds. Shrubs were planted around the border. By 1922, the tennis courts were run by a private group. An iron fence was built around the courts in 1939. Later, the group ceased management of the courts, and the fence was taken down. The tennis courts were then replaced with lawn and flowerbeds.
The Patterson Creek Pavilion was built in 1923. It represents the period of consolidation of both the parks movement and the public health movement during the interwar years in Canada. The change room and washroom pavilion is a recognized federal heritage building. Currently, the building is used as a shelter for skaters to change in during winter.
The park is located between Bank Street and the Queen Elizabeth Driveway. It is also served by a bus route and park pathways that link to the Rideau Canal.
Points of interest
The NCC Bistro
In the summer, the park hosts an NCC Bistro, providing an opportunity for outdoor enthusiasts to stop, refuel and enjoy the view.