The NCC is seeking partners to help transform the house located at 108 Pine Road, as part of its Capital Culture Lives Here initiative. This property is located in the Meech Creek Valley, in the heart of Gatineau Park.
Our vision for this property: a space that welcomes culture and the appreciation of the natural environment, supporting the visitor experience of Gatineau Park. The space could host a cultural centre, an artist studio or gallery, a natural heritage interpretation centre, or any other creative project. Proposals can also include a commercial aspect.
About the project
In July 2022, the NCC launched a request for expressions of interest (REI) for the house at 108 Pine Road.
The Capital Culture Lives Here initiative has four key objectives:
- To forge a mutually beneficial partnership between the NCC and one or more creative or nature-focused organizations to rehabilitate and animate the house at 108 chemin Pine;
- To breathe new life into the house and site through a viable, sustainable new use and a multi-year lease;
- To showcase the unique history and heritage value of the site and its unique surroundings;
- To support artistic development, heritage conservation, academic research, and/or nature conservation as part of the Capital experience, in support of the NCC’s mandate.
Proposals must include:
- a program compatible with the property
- a viable, sustainable concept
- partnerships, public benefits and community support
- bilingual client services and public communications
- financial contributions toward the rehabilitation of the site
Key features of the site
The house at 108 Pine Road is steps away from the scenic Cross Loop Road and its iconic covered bridge. It is situated between NCC parking lots P15 and P16, which provide access to the popular Gatineau Park trail network.
The property was built in 1915, on lands belonging to William Cross, Sr. It features a gracious brick farmhouse with a large veranda, and is surrounded by mature pine trees.
The house needs substantial rehabilitation. The NCC has not yet committed any funds to rehabilitate this property.
Floor Area: 179.5 m2 (1932 square feet)
Floor Levels: 1.5
Process and timeline
- The NCC held a workshop in March 2022 on the vocation of the house at 108 Pine Road.
- The NCC launched the REI in July 2022.
- Proponents may submit questions about the REI until October 14, 2022, at 11:59 pm (EDT).
- Proponents may submit proposals by October 14, 2022, at 11:59 pm (EDT).