Engagement (ongoing)

Drop by our community open house to share your thoughts in person, learn more about this project, ask our specialists questions, and provide suggestions and comments regarding the Brewery Creek land redevelopment plan. You can also participate by filling out our online survey from February 29 to March 14, 2024.

About the development plan

Rendering of potential Brewery Creek revitalization

The NCC plans to rehabilitate the lands along Brewery Creek to give permanent public access to the shoreline, while at the same time contributing to the revitalization of Montcalm Street and downtown Gatineau.

Brewery Creek federal lands cover 14,500 m2 (1.45 ha) and are owned by the NCC. They are located between Brewery Creek, Montcalm Street and Wright Street, right in the heart of downtown Gatineau. The maisons allumettes, or “matchstick houses” constructed of wood, and the two and three storey buildings that also housed local businesses on these lots at the start of the 20th century, disappeared during Hull’s industrial decline, leaving behind highly contaminated land.


The Brewery Creek land use plan will guide land and waterway rehabilitation in this sector and will outline future uses. The plan promotes mixed-use residential and commercial spaces that highlight urban architecture and design.

Not including real estate, this project will require more than $20 million for ground remediation and development of green and public spaces. Site development will include four buildings, pedestrian laneways, large green spaces, a multi-use pathway and a walkway. Buildings will occupy 35% of the total area, leaving 65% of the site available for green and public spaces. Developing green spaces along Brewery Creek will allow people to have direct access to the shoreline for various activities, and adding buildings will increase the potential for new housing.

Retail services and other public services on the ground floor of buildings will enliven the area and lanes and alleyways will harmonize the built environment and green spaces, in addition to creating viewpoints from Montcalm Street onto the creek.

The project vision is guided by the Plan for Canada’s Capital.

The NCC is working closely with stakeholders, including the Ville de Gatineau and the Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO). Together, they are joining forces to improve the site and safeguard its heritage, bring in more people, and improve accessibility.

Engagement

The NCC will hold public consultations to allow members of the public to comment on the project.

From February 29 to March 14, 2024, members of the public will be able to share comments and ideas through an online survey or during our open house event on February 29. The comments will be compiled in a report that will guide the request to update the Ville de Gatineau’s urban plan (amendment of the special planning program) and the request to update the NCC’s Ottawa River North Shore Parklands Plan.

The NCC’s next steps include establishing a public advisory committee to ensure that diverse perspectives, community interests and stakeholder needs are represented and considered throughout the planning process.

Process and timeline

2023

  • Public presentation of development plans (issues table for the downtown sector)

2024

  • Open house event: February 29, 2024
  • Online survey: February 29 to March 14, 2024
  • Request to update the Ville de Gatineau’s urban plan (application to amend the special planning program for the downtown)
  • Amendment of the NCC’s Ottawa River North Shore Parklands Plan

2025+

  • Develop a ground remediation/decontamination plan
  • Establish a public advisory committee
  • Set up the tendering process to choose a preferred proponent (NCC retains ownership of the lands)
  • Select a proponent and receive public input
  • Implement project and develop public realm

More information

Cookie Notice: Our website uses tracking technologies (cookies) to learn how our visitors interact with our site. This helps us to improve our services, and provide you with valuable content. Read our privacy policy.