Share your love of skating by volunteering on the Rideau Canal Skateway.
Our teams of volunteers make their way along the Rideau Canal to ensure skater safety and assist the fleet of daytime ice-grooming machinery.
Title: Volunteer Skateway maintenance safety monitor
Location: Rideau Canal Skateway
Under the supervision of the NCC team, the volunteer will escort the fleet of ice-grooming machinery operated by the Rideau Canal Skateway maintenance contractor. The volunteer will be responsible for keeping skaters a safe distance away from the machinery that will be sweeping the ice surface, from Dows Lake and back, over a total distance of 12 to 14 km.
This task is performed outdoors, and requires the appropriate clothing and equipment: skates, helmet, backpack and so on. The NCC will provide other necessary equipment: radio, volunteer safety vest, flag, whistle and parking pass.
Commitment and schedule
Volunteer shifts will be scheduled during the length of the skating season, from early January to mid-March. Volunteers have to be available for at least six shifts.
Maintenance safety monitor shifts will be during the daytime, between 12:30 pm and 4:30 pm, on Saturdays and Sundays, and will generally be for three hours. Maintenance operations will be confirmed in the morning for the afternoon of the same day.
The safety monitor schedule is established in advance by the NCC, in collaboration with the volunteers. Volunteers must also attend a preseason meeting.
- 16 years of age or older
- Bilingual (basic knowledge of French and English)
- Have a means of travelling to and from the Skateway
- Able to skate several kilometres (7 to 14 km)
- Able to skate in a variety of conditions (extreme cold, snow, freezing rain, poor ice conditions, crowds)
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to your vaccination status.
- Have access to a cellphone
- Knowledge of the Rideau Canal
To find out more, email email@example.com.