In 2019, in partnership with local restaurant entrepreneurs, the NCC launched a pilot project to enhance the experience of our urban parks and shorelines. As part of this project, we opened bistros featuring an assortment of food and beverage options in two locations: Confederation Park and Remic Rapids Park. A third bistro is proposed for Patterson Creek Park in summer 2021.
The NCC Bistro at Patterson Creek Park will be located in a beautifully landscaped park, next to a tranquil creek in Ottawa’s family-friendly Glebe neighbourhood. The creek flows into the adjacent Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which, in summer months, is popular with runners, walkers and cyclists.
The latest on the project
The online consultation has now been completed. The consultation report is now available. The consultation objectives were to:
- Share information about the latest proposals for the project, and actions taken to address concerns expressed by members of the community and park users.
- Provide members of the public with an opportunity to comment on the latest proposals for the project and share any concerns they may have.
The NCC Bistro pilot project at Patterson Creek Park was originally scheduled to launch in 2019. In June and July of 2019, the NCC received multiple objections regarding the project. In response to the concerns raised by members of the neighbouring community, the NCC held an on-site consultation in June 2019, and ultimately postponed the bistro’s opening. During this time, the NCC Ombudsman launched an investigation into the objections. The findings of this investigation were published in March 2020. In 2020, we again postponed the project to allow for more engagement with the community, and because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In January 2021, the NCC reached an agreement with local residents who had objected to the issuing of an alcohol permit for the NCC Bistro at Patterson Creek Park. This agreement, together with feedback provided by community members and park users over the past two years, has led to a range of new proposals for the pilot project, which address long-standing concerns and enhance the experience we hope to provide for park visitors.
Latest proposals for the 2021 season
In response to feedback from members of the community, the NCC has made several changes to the proposed design, operations and site management of the NCC Bistro at Patterson Creek Park.
- Instead of installing repurposed shipping containers and temporary outdoor washrooms on-site, the NCC proposes to house the bistro in the Patterson Creek Park Pavilion. As part of this adaptive re-use, the NCC will undertake the following:
- Consult with heritage experts to ensure that changes made to the building are consistent with the historic character of the pavilion and its surroundings.
- Make modular design improvements to the building, including making it universally accessible, such that winter use of the pavilion can resume during the Rideau Canal Skateway season.
- The new design would reduce the site footprint from 2,500 to 1,000 square feet (excluding paths and walkways), and feature a small exterior patio seating area.
- No trees will be removed as part of the project.
- Only low-wattage, candle-type lighting will be used on tables and to identify walkways, as required for safety and security.
The bistro will be permitted to operate from May 15 to October 15, during the following hours:
- May, 9 am to 8:30 pm
- June 1 to July 15, 9 am to 9 pm
- July 16 to August 15, 9 am to 8:30 pm
- August 16 to September 15, 9 am to 8 pm
- September 16 to October 15, 9 am to 7 pm
The proposed launch date for the Patterson Creek Park bistro is end of June 2021. The NCC will continue to monitor public health regulations, as they relate to suitable opening dates for the 2021 season. The above-noted dates and times are subject to change.
- The capacity of the bistro will be limited to 40 guests.
- Delivery hours will be restricted.
- All fencing, planters and furniture will be removed at the end of the operating season.
The NCC commits to the following site management provisions:
- No loudspeakers, amplified music or sound, radio or television, or ambient music on the premises.
- No glass bottles will be sold or permitted on-site.
- Only limited food preparation will occur on-site (small appliances, no additional ventilation).
- A sufficient number of waste disposal bins will be installed on-site.
- Garbage will be removed daily, and additional on-site signage will remind guests to properly dispose of their garbage.
- All patio elements will be maintained in good condition throughout the operating season.
A report is now available on this page which summarize the input we received, as well as how we implemented it.
Construction would take place sometime between May and June 2021, and the bistro would launch in late-June 2021. The NCC will continue to monitor public health regulations as it relates to suitable opening dates for the 2021 season. The proposed construction start date and launch date of the bistro are subject to change, depending on current public health regulations and restrictions.
In fall 2021, at the end of the operating season, the NCC will launch an evaluation process on the bistro program. The feedback collected over the summer will inform the review and evaluation of the bistro pilot project as a whole in winter 2022.
- Report - New Proposals for the NCC Bistro at Patterson Creek Park (1.139 MB)
- Patterson Creek - Public feedback (693.685 KB)
- Presentation - Online Consultation March 11, 2021 (1.177 MB)