This historic landmark located at the top of the Eardley Escarpment provides the most well-known and most popular view in Gatineau Park. Champlain Lookout provides a view overlooking the Ottawa Valley at a point where the Canadian Shield meets the St. Lawrence Lowlands. During winter, the lookout is accessible only on cross-country skis as the Gatineau Park parkway network is closed.
About the project
We began work on the reconstruction of the retaining wall in July 2020, in order to be able to reopen this important destination in Gatineau Park. The work included:
- removal of stones from the existing wall
- excavation down to the rock
- installation of a new structural concrete retaining wall
- reinstatement of the masonry stones
- expansion of the observation area
In spring 2021, we undertook the following work to complete the reconstruction of the lookout:
- landscaping at the lookout area
- installation of interlocking brick
- installation of new benches
This project is part of the NCC’s major infrastructure projects made possible with the Government of Canada’s $52.4-million investment from the 2020 federal budget.