This historic landmark located at the top of the Eardley Escarpment provides the most well-known and most popular view in Gatineau Park. Champlain Lookout provides a view overlooking the Ottawa Valley at a point where the Canadian Shield meets the St. Lawrence Lowlands. During winter, the lookout is accessible only on cross-country skis as the Gatineau Park parkway network is closed.
About the project
We began work on the reconstruction of the retaining wall in July 2020, in order to be able to reopen this important destination in Gatineau Park. The work included:
- removal of stones from the existing wall
- excavation down to the rock
- installation of a new structural concrete retaining wall
- reinstatement of the masonry stones
- expansion of the observation area
In spring 2021, we will undertake the following work to complete the reconstruction of the lookout:
- landscaping at the lookout area
- installation of interlocking brick
- installation of new benches
The NCC will provide notice to the public about the impact of this upcoming work and any related closures.
Once the work is completed in spring 2021, the reconstructed wall will have a similar look to the original lookout wall.