The official residences are the homes of our country’s political leaders. They welcome foreign dignitaries and host protocol events, meetings and commemorative ceremonies. All official residences are designated heritage buildings under the Register of the Government of Canada Heritage Buildings. There are six official residences in the Capital Region.
- Rideau Hall is the residence of the governor general. It is a National Historic Site and the only official residence open to the public. Each year, thousands of visitors come to appreciate the grounds and buildings.
- The residence at 24 Sussex Drive is the residence of the prime minister.
- Harrington Lake (Lac Mousseau) is the summer residence of the prime minister.
- Stornoway is the residence of the leader of the Official Opposition in the House of Commons.
- The Farm, in Gatineau Park, is the residence of the speaker of the House of Commons.
- The residence at 7 Rideau Gate is an official guesthouse for visiting dignitaries.
The NCC’s management responsibilities for Canada’s official residences in the Capital include the long-term planning of capital improvements at these residences, property management, ongoing maintenance of buildings and grounds, as well as the furnishing and enhancement of the interiors.
Key policy directions for the next 50 years
- The official residences are icons of the Capital and, as such, they need careful maintenance. Owing to the age of several of the residences, the NCC will develop and implement recapitalization strategies, and architectural and heritage conservation and enhancement plans to ensure that these properties befit their role of critical national importance over the long term.
- The NCC, as steward of the Capital’s official residences, and in consultation with the respective officials from the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General and the Prime Minister’s Office, will implement 10-year plans for continued reinvestment in the official residences to ensure that these sites meet the needs of the institutions in a growing nation.
- The governor general’s residence at Rideau Hall and the prime minister’s residence at 24 Sussex Drive are the first priorities.