Published on June 22, 2020
The National Capital Commission’s (NCC) beaches in Gatineau Park and at Leamy Lake Park have opened today, Monday, June 22, 2020, for the summer season.
Every day, from 10 am to 6 pm, users will be able to enjoy the O’Brien, Blanchet, Breton and La Pêche Lake beaches in Gatineau Park, as well as Leamy Lake beach, from 10 am to 7 pm. Lifeguards will be on duty during these hours. Various facilities such as washrooms, change rooms and picnic tables will also be available for users. Parking fees will be in effect starting July 2, 2020.
This year, Parent Beach and Smith Beach are accessible only to those staying at the Philippe Lake campground.
The NCC urges beach-goers to be cautious and keep personal safety in mind. Swimmers must obey signage posted on the beaches and in the change rooms, as well as the measures in place to ensure compliance with public health directives on physical distancing. They must also respect the designated hours when the beaches are supervised, and stay within the swimming areas marked by buoys.
Water sample testing results
Water sample tests taken on June 18-19, 2020, at the following beaches meet bacteriological standards for swimming.
- Meech Lake, Gatineau Park
- O’Brien Beach: Class A (excellent for swimming)
- Blanchet Beach: Class A (excellent for swimming)
- Philippe Lake, Gatineau Park
- Breton Beach: Class A (excellent for swimming)
- Parent Beach (for campers only): Class A (excellent for swimming)
- Smith Beach (for campers only): Class A (excellent for swimming)
- La Pêche Lake, Gatineau Park
- La Pêche Lake beach: Class A (excellent for swimming)
- Leamy Lake, Gatineau
- Leamy Lake beach: Class A (excellent for swimming)
Users can consult the interactive map on water quality throughout the summer.
Canoes, kayaks and other non-motorized boats are available for rent at both Philippe and La Pêche lakes.
Breton Beach has a wheelchair access ramp into the water. A chair lift is also available.
Large groups wishing to visit Gatineau Park’s beaches should contact the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre prior to their visit to ensure that they receive important information and tips for the best possible experience. To notify the Visitor Centre, group leaders can call 819-827-2020.
- For beaches at Meech Lake (July 2 to September 7, 2020, 9 am to 7 pm): $12 per vehicle; $35 per mini-bus; $58 per bus; half rate after 3 pm.
- Philippe and La Pêche lakes (July 2 to September 7, 2020, 8 am to 8 pm): $12 per vehicle; $35 per mini-bus; $58 per bus; half rate after 5 pm.
- Leamy Lake Park (July 2 to September 7, 2020, 7 am to 10 pm): $1.50/30 minutes; $9 maximum/daily per vehicle; $25/day per mini-bus.
Season parking pass
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, season parking passes will not be available for purchase this summer.
For more information about Gatineau Park, please contact the NCC at 819-827-2020, 1-866-456-3016 (toll-free), 613-239-5090 (TTY) or 1-866-661-3530 (toll-free TTY); sign up for our Gatineau Park newsletter.
NCC Media Relations
613-239-5678, ext. 5870 (office)