Published on September 30, 2020
Canada’s Capital Region — As the COVID-19 pandemic alert level was recently raised to code orange in the Outaouais region, the National Capital Commission (NCC) today decided to cancel its free shuttle service to Gatineau Park for the entire 2020 Fall Rhapsody program.
With the increase last weekend in the numbers of people in Gatineau Park, and because of the importance of encouraging people to limit gatherings during the month of October, the NCC hopes that this decision will help reduce crowding of Park infrastructure, which is already very popular, by not bringing more people into the Park on the shuttle.
Since 2015, the NCC, in partnership with the Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO), has offered a free shuttle service for people to visit Gatineau Park on Fall Rhapsody weekends.
Reminder: Gatineau Park parkway schedule until October 25, 2020
- The parkways will be open only for active users, every day until noon.
- Motor vehicles can access the parkways daily from noon until 30 minutes after sunset.
- Monday to Friday, from 6 am until 5 pm, Fortune Lake Parkway will be closed to all users, due to work being undertaken at Champlain Lookout.
- From Monday to Friday, the North Loop (between parking lot P8 and Dunlop Road) is open only for active users.
- Later in October, the North Loop (between parking lot P8 and Dunlop Road) will be open to motor vehicles at all times from Monday to Thursday.
- Parking lot P10 will remain closed at all times.
- On Sunday, October 25, at 6 pm (approximately), the parkways will close to motor vehicles for the winter.
Since parkway access varies depending on the day and time, Park visitors are advised to plan ahead, whether they intend to walk, bike, in-line skate, roller ski or drive. The NCC would like to remind you that the Highway Safety Code applies at all times, and that the authorities are present in Gatineau Park to manage traffic and parking lots, as well as to ensure that all users adhere to the Highway Safety Code.
Share the road
Drivers (cars and other motor vehicles)
- Obey speed limits.
- Use caution when passing cyclists: maintain a distance of 1.5 metres (which may make it necessary to drive somewhat over the yellow line).
- Park only in designated areas; fines are imposed for parking violations.
Cyclists, in-line skaters and roller skiers
- Obey speed limits.
- Ride in single file.
- Keep groups to a maximum of 15 cyclists.
- Use caution when passing, and pass on the left.
- Obey stop signs.
- When you stop, move to the side of the road to allow other users to pass.
Follow Gatineau Park on Twitter to find out more about Fall Rhapsody and traffic volumes on weekends. Visit the NCC website for a list of places to view the fall colours while following public health guidelines.
NCC Media Relations