NCC lands include urban parks, parkways, recreational paths, Gatineau Park, the Greenbelt and more. To use NCC land, a permit is often needed. There are two types of permits: event permits and land access permits.

Events permits

An event permit allows you to hold a one-time event on NCC land. Examples of events include

  • Music festivals
  • Sporting events
  • Work or community picnics with tents or other structures
  • Parades
  • Fundraisers
  • Films requiring infrastructure.

An event permit is not needed for picnics without tents and structures. You can, however, reserve a picnic area at Vincent Massey Park.

The cost of a permit varies depending on the following:
  • Size of the event
  • Location (park, parkway, etc.)
  • Duration
  • Type (public, private, commercial, etc.)
The NCC uses event permits
  • to safeguard the public park for all users
  • to protect the land for future users
  • to ensure that laws and regulations are respected
  • to ensure that the use and the event are compatible with the site's purpose and nature.
No event permit is required but a reservation is mandatory to host wedding at one of the two NCC sites available for wedding ceremonies. Learn more

Land access permits

The NCC is responsible for the integrity and sustainability of its landholdings. In particular, we must look after the environment, ensure public safety, and deal with liability concerns. By controlling access to NCC properties, permits help us fulfill our responsibilities in terms of the land and the public.

You need a permit whenever you are doing something that requires the use of, or access to, NCC land. It could be anything from scientific research to a construction project. For example:
  • Using NCC land to access private property for construction.
  • Driving a commercial vehicle on NCC parkways.
  • Performing research on NCC land.
  • Storing materials or equipment on NCC land.
  • Construction and maintenance contracts on NCC land.
  • Authorization to hold ongoing programs or activities on NCC land.
  • Capturing images for a broadcast production, film or news story on NCC land.
To get an NCC land access permit, complete and submit the Land Access Permit Request Form.

Review times vary depending on the type of access. The review process begins upon receipt of the completed application form, and may take between five and ten business days. To avoid delays, apply as soon as you know the details of your access requirements.

If your request receives preliminary approval, you will then receive a list of requirements that you need to meet before a permit is granted.
You may have to pay a minimum fee of $300, depending on the exact use and location of your work or activity. Depending on the nature of the activity and the type of organization, you may be required to have proof of insurance or a certified performance bond.
Research in Gatineau Park or the Greenbelt helps in planning the short- and long-term protection of species, habitats and ecosystems. Many permits are issued annually to researchers from universities, museums, government departments and non-governmental organizations. The NCC provides logistical support to some of these projects, and sometimes funds research projects that enhance Gatineau Park or Greenbelt management.