Pinhey Forest is named after the man who donated the land in 1948, with the intention that it be used to demonstrate land conservation practices. Since 2011, the NCC has been working to restore this 10,000-year-old sand dune ecosystem.
According to a dedicated local volunteer group, Biodiversity Conservancy International, the Pinhey Sand Dunes Restoration Project has exceeded expectations. The work of NCC staff and volunteers has brought the principles of environmental stewardship down to a personal and interactive level.
This site provides an outstanding opportunity for community involvement. In 2016, close to 1,000 students at the elementary, high school and university levels visited the site to learn about biodiversity in the Greenbelt, and to take part in site restoration.
There is an outhouse by trail 32 at the P15 parking lot.
Free, year-round parking is available at the P14 and P15 parking lots.
There is an unsheltered picnic area by trails 32 and 33.
Trails 30 and 31 are universally accessible.