The O’Brien House was conceived in the grand style of Queen Anne Revival by leading architect Werner Noffke in 1930. However, the cedar-shingled roof, log siding and granite foundations of this country mansion declare its relationship to the Canadian wilderness.
The house was built for businessman and industrialist Ambrose O’Brien, heir to the business dynasty that founded the National Hockey League in 1909. The NCC bought the house in 1964 as part of an ongoing program to expand federally owned land in Gatineau Park. It became a Government of Canada Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1984.