The Capital Urban Lands Plan supports the NCC’s vision to create an inspiring and dynamic capital. The plan applies to urban lands that extend to the Greenbelt boundary on the Ontario side, and those located within the urban perimeter on the Quebec side. The plan does not apply to lands in Gatineau Park.
Specific objectives of the plan
- Create and foster high-quality and meaningful places.
- Improve, safeguard and enrich the Capital’s cultural heritage.
- Develop a network of Capital discovery routes.
- Support the Capital’s urban green and blue space network.
- Protect valued natural habitats and regional biodiversity.
- Reinforce urban vegetation cover, and conserve the Capital’s picturesque landscapes.
- Provide improved access to green and blue spaces year-round.
- Contribute to building a livable Capital Region.
- Enhance the accessibility and integration of federal sites.
- Promote sustainable urbanism and active mobility.
The NCC is committed to working in partnership with authorities, local groups and stakeholders in the implementation of the Capital Urban Lands Plan. The plan was designed to be implemented over 10 years, with a revision to take place at the end of that period.